I was very proud to be invited by the Windows Server Management Team to show and explain Project Honolulu during Microsoft Ignite in Orlando, FL. I was on the Server Management booth from Monday to Wednesday and it was amazing. There was so much interest in this new solution. So many questions and good ideas….
Project “Honolulu” – Windows Server Management
Wow…it is that time of the year…many announcements are around because of Microsoft Ignite…after 5 months I am finally allowed to talk about project “Honolulu” … NDA is gone now
Today Microsoft published a sneak peek of project Honolulu
After it felt like GUI is not a topic anymore, because everybody is talking about core, container and serverless…Microsoft shows its love to Server Management GUI.
Recently in may Microsoft announced the end of Azure Server Management Tools (SMT). In this post they mentioned they stop the program to develop an on-premises solution to align customer requirements.
At this time i was in the middle of testing Honolulu already. A browser-based Server Management solution. With this solution we address several problems at once:
- Azure SMT was a good tool…but it required an internet connection into the datacenter. Honolulu is an on-premises solution and is able to operate in a disconnected scenario
- classic RSAT tools require an installation on an equivalent platform. Also they have to be reinstalled after Windows 10 In-Place Upgrade
- RSAT is only available for Windows….so a cross platform management solution was not available
- some features never got a GUI management….Honolulu is giving them a home
- e.g. Honolulu will manage Hyper-Converged Clusters…
- and many more
This is a screenshot from the Microsoft post:
TheTechnical Preview will be available end of next week and then you can test test test…
At Microsoft Ignite there are several opportunities to have a look on Honolulu
- Discover what’s new with Windows Server management experiences (Monday, September 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM, OCCC West Hall F1)
- Manage and monitor your Windows Server 2016 hyper-converged infrastructure (Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 2:15 PM, OCCC West Hall E1)
- Microsoft Booth in Hybrid Platform Area
P.S.: I will be aroung at the booth from monday to wednesday afternoon and will show and talk about Honolulu. So if you want to meet me, or just want to have a look at the product…visit us
More Sneak Peeks
While Honolulu was the important news of the day…there had been several announcements: